Sunday, May 24, 2009

Potty Training... Oh, Boy!?!?!

Well, I guess that we are potty training in some fashion around here. It all started about a week ago and we just pulled out a kid potty and put it in our downstairs bathroom. We told Alex that it was a little potty for him. I put some of his books in the bathroom and asked him if he wanted to sit on the potty. He did and now he takes off his diaper and sits on the potty after he has gone to the bathroom. I guess we have all the steps, but they are just in the wrong order. This is all very new territory for us. Any ideas??? I don't think that he is fully ready yet, but he is moving in that direction.
Today I put him upstairs in his room for a nap and I knew that he wasn't sleeping, so I went to check on him and I found him diaper-less with a present for me. Wow are we going to be going through lots of wipes in the future.

2 comments:

4Girls4Me said...

So fun! What a big boy. :) Good luck. My only advice is to not get too serious about it until he is definitely showing you that he's ready. Ryann & Madi were both a breeze at 2 1/2. But I broke my own rule with Skye and started her when I was ready and that was much more frustrating... :)
Good luck! :)

mmnevill said...

I started training when Addison was 20 months. We had a week of using the potty, then nothing. I asked her many times over the next many months if she wanted to use the potty, and she always said no. She would tell us when she was wet, would ask us to change her diaper, etc., but still would not go on the potty. At exactly 2 1/2, I realized that my baby and my toddler were wearing the same size diaper, and that was just too much. I bought 20 pairs of panties and put her in them, cold turkey, and we had two pee accidents the first day, and that was basically it. She has had a few poop accidents, and two other pee accidents since May 1, but that's all. So she was definitely old enough, definitely aware enough, and I was definitely ready enough! And now we are potty trained.