Thursday, April 2, 2009

Love-Hate Relationships

I have a certain love-hate relationship that I can't describe as anything else but that. What could it be? Friends,husband, children, pets??? Once in a while, I might say yes. But today this relationship exists because of my dealings with Poison Control. You know the Mr.Yuck stickers with the unpleasant face and all.
Well, We have had to call them once before when Alex got into some Tilex. Not fun. It makes you feel like a bad mom. Angry at yourself, scared for them, and wondering why you spend money on toys for your kids if the things that they find to play with are not toys.
While I was putting Sarah down for a nap, I heard Alex getting into colored pencils and markers (it has happened before). I thought I will hurry up and put her down and then go clean up the mess with him after. I find the markers and pencils, no Alex, so I keep searching. There he is chewing on a bottle of Fray Check. He had managed to get into my sewing box. The cap is off and he is chewing on the bottle. I quickly read the bottle for instructions and head for the phone.
I called the number and am blessed to see that it looks like he didn't ingest very much if any. I am told to give him something sweet to drink,because it has alcohol in it. If I noticed him being abnormally unstable or disoriented then to call back. He seems fine after a little while.
I can't describe the feelings that you feel when you are going through this. I am so grateful for a place that I can call and get more information, but at the same time I hate that I have to call in the first place. Hopefully this relationship will end very quickly. I am not up for more repeat experiences.

7 comments:

Karyn said...

I am sorry that you have to deal with that. You are not a bad mom. Kids get into things so fast! I haven't had to deal with poison, but how about just yesterday Micah strangling a little boy with my diaper bag strap? Does that count? He had already tried to do it to Clara. I stopped that, but while I was trying to help Lily with writing a letter to a missionary, Micah got to the little boy. Why did Micah do it? Because he doesn't like that little boy. He says that about any kid. He is driving me crazy because he is mean to other kids just because. I don't like it. Hopefully, it is a stage that he will outgrow! Good luck with Alex!

Jenn's Mommy Days said...

How scary, I am so sorry. When Abbie was about 18 months old we were at my parent’s house. I noticed that she was chewing on something. At first look I thought it might be candy but when I took a closer look I noticed that it was some type of medication that my grandma had dropped on the floor. I was so worried. Dan and my Dad gave her a blessing. In the blessing it said that she would be fine and that Angles were watching over her. The priesthood is a wonderful and powerful blessing from our Heavenly father. I know with all my heart that Angles do watch over our little ones.

The Learner said...

Hope he's doing just fine. Kids have amazing abilities to get into things we'd never think of. You're still a good mom! ;)

123 checkoutourfamily said...

I hate emergency situations. I'm always worried I'll panic. So far we haven't had to deal with the poison control hotline but I know where that wonderful little sticker is posted in our house. ..just in case.

Hope ya'll are feeling better. Let me know if I can do anything.

Unknown said...

oh, I am sorry about that but so glad he is ok. thank goodness

4Girls4Me said...

Oh, the Poison Control Center. I feel like I am on a first name basis with those people... The last one was around Christmas when I though Bayli ingested half a bottle of hand sanitizer (she didn't). One of my favorites was when Madi was a baby and was playing with one of those glow-in-the-dark necklaces when I looked back at her and her mouth was glowing...
So I can relate. You are a great Mom. I'm glad Alex is okay. :)

Barbi by the Sea said...

Sooo glad he is okay and that you know exactly where the little sticker is with the emergency information. Every good mom has that information on hand. Right after Eric discovered he could walk and get places he could not go before and reach things I found him with a bottle of blue fabric softener draining over his head. How he managed to get the lid off and pour it over his head I do not know. I called the Poison control and they told me to just rinse him off and make him drink a lot of water. ?????? I checked his mouth and his breath and decided he had not ingested any and his eyes were okay. He did like the cold water. Whew!