Friday, February 27, 2009

We've Escaped... and Returned

Yes we have escaped and were missing in action last night. I decided to "surprise" Eric and plan a family camping trip at a local camp ground about an hour away. I use the word "surprise" loosely, because almost every surprise that I have planned has been discovered by Eric or some other person unintentionally. This little get away was no different. About a week ago a friend told me about this campground that they go to as a family. Since Eric had this coming Friday off and the weather seemed to be cooperating, I decided to plan a secret get away. Well a few days later while equipment was being collected, packed and prepared, Eric happened to see me looking at a camping website that I was looking at. Even though I closed it as fast as I could the damage was done. So, yes Eric, we are going camping!
We picked Eric up after work on Thursday and traveled to the campsite. It was a great location, one that we plan to use again (thanks, Kim). We set up our tent and got the preparations going. Thanks to the Eagle scout in our family, we had a blazing fire in no time. A little while later our bellies were full with hot dogs, chips, fruit, and smores. Yumm Yumm!!!
We got Alex ready for bed and said prayers. Alex slept really well in the pack'n play. Sarah slept like a trooper. She slept while we set up camp, ate, and also while putting Alex down for the night. We woke her up and fed her. Eric and I enjoyed looking up at the thousand stars up above and chatting the night away. Although it wasn't the most restful night's sleep Eric and I had we were glad that we were there as a family.
There were only a few minor mishaps, (Erika- burned finger, Alex- bug bites and a few scrapes, and Sarah- a few bruises wiggling out of her car seat while sleeping at night) but that is what makes the camping trip memorable.
After a breakfast of French toast and juice, we packed up and enjoyed a nice drive back home. What a fun time to spend as a family.



11 comments:

Lisa Allen said...

You are so brave I don't think I could do that with Mason. You have given me a challenge to go befor the end of March. It sounded like you had a blast you need to let me know were you went. unless its a secret.

4Girls4Me said...

Wow - that sounds like so much fun!! I have to agree that you are one SuperMom to go camping with a new baby!! :) I'm so glad that you guys had such a nice family trip! The kids are so adorable and growing so fast! We are totally thrilled to see you guys for the 4th of July!!! :)

Slim said...

Yeah! I'm glad you had a fun time and I love all the cute pics of your family together time. Don't give out our secret camping spot to the world, though. Just teasing! :)

123 checkoutourfamily said...

I'm so glad the camping trip was a success! I love the pic of Sarah smiling. Oh, those smiles just melt a mama's heart. You'll have to let us in on the secret camping site. ;)

By the way, THANK YOU for letting us use the double stroller. What a lifesave!

Sunnie said...

makes me want to take a camping trip. really- and i'm not a huge camper. it just seems like fun. glad it was great!

the watkins said...

That sounds like so much fun, great pictures.

Unknown said...

Wow, I can't even think of going camping with Elora and she is 1. You are a great mom and wife. Eric is so lucky to have you.

dancing queen said...

What a great idea! You are just full of surprises! Glad you guys had a fun time! :) Love you sis!

1tiredmama said...

How fun! My suprises seem to always get ruined as well. It's always fun to try anyways. By the way, your kiddos are so adorable!!

Julia said...

How fun! Oh I just love that picture of the kids on your lap with the sun shining down on y'all. Too cute.

Jana said...

What great memories!