Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Berry Picking

A few weeks ago I went blackberry picking with the kids and some friends from church. We traveled up to a pick your own berry farm outside of Houston. Yes, I know, a pick your own berry farm and Houston don't belong in the same sentence, but there are a few around here. It was hot, and hard work, but we were able to make our own freezer jam, a triple berry jam, and also have enough left over to make a blackberry cobbler. Here is a cute picture of Alex before we left.

And not to be left out, here is one of Sarah.
To my surprise, the kids did great for being drug around rows of blackberries. Alex was a big help in picking berries. We still have to work on his colors. We got a multitude of opportunities to work on practicing his colors.He is getting better, and I would only have to occasionally remind him that we were looking for black berries and not the green ones.

They had a fun wagon that Alex loved to pull around. It was hard work, but really rewarding. I am going to check out another berry farm in a few days, minus the kids this time. Thanks Eric, in advance for watching them for me.

7 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

I love freezer jam! Your pictures are so cute of the blackberry picking. I'll have to remember to take my camera this year.

Sunnie said...

i wanted to go to this activity! elle had something for school so i couldn't. thanks again for your family history help the other night!

the watkins said...

That sounds like fun... I'm sure lots of work but I think picking berries sounds like a great summer activity.

Your kids are so cute!

Slim said...

King's Orchard by far has the best berries! We went out to Moorehead's last Monday and we had to really search for the blueberries. There were only a few trees that had many berries on them at all. But we did end up taking home about 3 lbs and the total cost was just a little over $5! It was a deal, but out in the boonies -- dirt road and everything. Such fun memories though, huh?

~ kietra ~ said...

Way to go!! I love berry farms! Nice job on the home made jam, too!

4Girls4Me said...

That sounds like so much fun! The kids are so, so cute! I'm so happy that we got to spend so much time with you all last week! Thanks so much for coming out. We miss you already!!!!

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Oh! I went there once. Very hot, but totally worth it. I need to do my blackberry picking next week. Our crops come on a little bit later.