Monday, October 13, 2008

The Free Zoo Day that wasn't so Free...

It all started last week when our friend Ginger called and asked if we wanted to go to the Oil Ranch here in Houston. A group of friends was getting together so that we could have a group discount. Well a series of events played out and she called this morning to let us know that there weren't enough people to get the group rate. Disappointed about not going to the Oil Ranch I called up my friend Meggan who was also planning on going to the Oil Ranch with her daughter Eden and we decided to go to the zoo instead. Perfect!!! We had a morning of minor detours because her husband's car wouldn't start so we had to jump his car and take it to Walmart to check and see if it was the battery. Thank goodness it was. Next detour was the library to drop off Meggan's library books that were due that day. Now we were on our way... We got down to the zoo and found that there was no parking to be found... The zoo was having a free day because of Columbus Day. We found some parking and made our way to the gates. Yea, it's free. We got in and we saw the meerkats, and the giraffes. Alex loved the giraffes. They had tiny,(or not so tiny) babies. Alex loved them and was smiling at them the whole time. Next to the elephants, more babies to see. Well you get the picture. We were at the speckled bears exhibit and I had taken Alex out of his stroller to see the bears better. He was wearing shoes that were a tad bit to big for him and he kicked his feet against the fence and off one of them tumbled into the exhibit. I couldn't believe it. New shoes and one of them is now a bear's chew toy. We looked down and there was a bear and it was sniffing Alex's shoe. I didn't bring my camera so I will have to get the pictures form Meggan. We asked at guest relations if they could get the shoe back and they were going to check on it and try and get it out before it did a number on a bear's digestive tract. So instead of paying to get in the zoo we are paying to buy new shoes. We will keep you posted on the free zoo day that wasn't so free. So when you go to the zoo, remember to Please don't feed the bears.



11 comments:

4Girls4Me said...

So funny!! That's such a bummer about the shoe!! I loved the pictures. My littlest nephew is SO cute! I especially like the one of the two of you together. He looks so excited & you are a beautiful pregnant Momma! :)

123 checkoutourfamily said...

How crazy! I'm glad ya'll enjoyed the zoo despite the loss. Hopefully, they were able to salvage it and you'll get it back soon. :)

Jana said...

Wow! what an exciting trip to the zoo. Bummer about the shoe though. I have season passes if you ever want to attempt another free day?

Slim said...

That is crazy! Cute, well written post! What would make me the most disappointed is having to make that trip to the store to buy the shoes all over again. Oh well! It made for an exciting experience anyway.

Sunnie said...

i wish you could come with us on thursday! trisha said you watch a little boy that day so it might be tough. but you are definitely welcome!

Barbi by the Sea said...

Funny story. Even if you have to buy new shoes. It is one for the family legends. I am just happy it was only a shoe and hopefully the bear did not get a tummy ache.

Such cute pictures of our little Alex man. Erika, you are truly a beautiful momma. You seem to just glow. Love you so much

scraphappymama said...

i talked to meggan and she said the retrieval went well. hope the shoe is in wearable condition :) gotta love the zoo (we don't have to go since I live in one :) )

Jenn's Mommy Days said...

Wow! What a trip to the Zoo! Sorry about the shoe.

Ash said...

That's kinda an awesome story. How many times does something like that happen?

Boston said...

I loved the story about the shoe... fun for you! I'm posting more to say hi than to comment, though - I stumbled on your blog and have wanted to get back in touch with you for years! (I think often of fond memories of Casa Dea at the Y...). So, hello again!

SweetmamaK said...

Invest in a year pass- they start at like only 70 dollars and are sooo worth it, Free days are not worth the price of admission- I don't even like to go into the museum district during free zoo days- scary times (I'm kind of a stalker of your blog, I'm an old high school friend of Hiedie's -Eric may remember me-) I gave you some helpful, but maybe not so helpful hints on your FHE entry! I echo your MIL's statement, you totally glow!!!