Friday, May 9, 2008

What's Cookin' Good Lookin'

This week there have been many new developments at the Stewart household. Here is a recap...

Well I decided to make some freezer jam for the very first time a few days ago after my friend Melanie shared some raspberry freezer jam that she made. It was so fabulous, that I decided to make some strawberry freezer jam myself. I have made peach preserves and canned them before, but never freezer jam. Man, have I been missing out. It was so easy and it tastes so yummy. I guess that I was over zealous and bought too many strawberries, I couldn't resist. They were only 99 cents at Food Town and they were good quality. I bought 8 containers because I wanted to make a double batch of jam. Melanie thought that you needed 4 containers per batch, so that is why I ended up with eight. Well, experience has taught me now that you only need 1 1/2 containers per batch, so now we have 5 pounds of fresh strawberries in our fridge. I have got to take care of them soon before we have 5 pounds of rotten strawberries in the fridge.
I guess that I will be busy canning, freezing, and preparing strawberries this weekend.
Here is a picture of the finished product and of my monstrous mound of strawberries.



For Family Home Evening, Eric provided a wonderful lesson about Jesus Christ and his life. It was really good honey! I provided the activity, so we made Mother's Day cards for each of our mother's (sorry that they won't get there on time). I initially thought that Eric would be bored with the project, especially when he saw me pull out my scrapbook paper and supplies. I even thought that I saw him roll his eyes ;0) j/k. I also thought that his project would be done in like 30 seconds and I would still be sitting there an hour later trying to finish up. Much to my surprise, he really got into creating a card for his mom. He used brads, crafting paper, paper cutters, and he was even tempted to use some ribbon. I kept looking over at his card in amazement at his beautiful creation. I was so impressed and am hoping to get one of his original creations a few days from now (hint, hint);0). Here is a look at our final products.


The final project we have been working on is adding a new member to our family. We found out that I was pregnant in late March and went to the doctor on Wednesday for our first ultrasound. I was hoping to keep this great news quiet a little longer, but I don't think that some of my clothes will be comfortable for too much longer. We initially thought our due date would be the 4th of December, but using the ultrasound measurements the pushed back our due date to the 12th of December. I have been feeling alright, I feel nauseated most of the day, but I found out that if I eat and drink about every two hours then it is a little better. It was too hard to try and eat and drink at church in secret. I was finding myself taking trips to the car on Fast Sunday to try and munch on something. Well I guess the little surprise is out in the open. We were trying to wait until the end of the 1st trimester to tell everyone because I have miscarried before. I felt safer making that 13 week mark but we are telling a little bit early.
Here is a picture of our ultrasound. It is kind of grainy, I had just visited the bathroom and the technician said that it would have been a clearer picture with a full bladder. Oh, well we know for next time.

10 comments:

123 checkoutourfamily said...

Cute cards and what a cute baby blob! I'll have to get some of your un recipes.

4Girls4Me said...

Hooray!!! So now I can finally tell my friends? That's so unfair that you guys made me wait since my Dad told all the family already anyway! :) I am SOOO excited for you guys!! I can't wait to find out if we're getting a niece or a nephew! I have a treasure trove of practically new little girls' clothes... :) I hope the morning sickness passes quicky. That's my least favorite part! I wish we were closer so I could eat some of your freezer jam! I'm sure it's delicious. :) We love you guys!

Barbi by the Sea said...

Thanks so much for the update. Your strawberry Jam looks so yum and the freezer way is really the only way to keep that fresh strawberry taste. Love the picture of our new baby beginnings. Hope your "yucky" time is short and goes by quickly. Look forward to seeing you this summer. Love you guys so much. Thank you for the birthday call.

Unknown said...

Congratulations, I am so happy for you guys. I will keep you in my prayers to feel good and that everything will be well. Cute cards too.

the watkins said...

First of all, good job with the jam! I love that you made cards, I made ours too, but couldn't get Mike to help.
Yay! I heard that you were expecting and have been waiting to tell you CONGRATS! I have found I am the same way, as long as I eat about every 2 hours I feel okay, if not... yuck!

Barbi by the Sea said...

I received my beautiful card today. I am so proud of your creative abilities. I love the message and the card is beautiful.
Good job!

We are excited about the new addition and hope all goes well and you start feeling better soon.

Look forward to seeing you in June/July. Love you

Sunnie said...

i was wondering if that was going to be the news. that is so great! congrats! i'm so excited for you guys. and the baby numbers in the ward continue to grow!

Kristin said...

Congrats Erika! And the jam looks delish!

Ash said...

Erika, I had no idea! Let me know if you need anything! Congratulations!

scraphappymama said...

CONGRATS on the baby and the jam making :) Hope you are feeling okay!!