Sunday, November 11, 2007

Car Keys are Not Toys

Here is a note of advice that I have learned recently. Do NOT give your car keys to your kids to play with. (Especially if they have the car clicker on them.) I learned the hard way.

Here is how my story goes:
One day last week I took Alex and Trenton to the mall to play and as we were getting in the car to go home, I did a dumb thing. Something that you probably would never think twice about doing, but now I know from experience, so learn from me.
I got the boys in the car, gave Alex my keys to appease him while I was putting the stroller in the back. I shut the door and was walking to the back of the car to open it up to get the stroller inside. Before I did that, I heard the locking of the car with the boys and my keys on the inside. Alex had pushed the lock button on the clicker while he was playing with them. I kept peering into the window to try and get him to push the unlock button, but it was not working. Thankfully someone next to me let me borrow their cellphone to make an emergency call to Eric. I didn't get a hold of him, so I tried to reach my friend to bring me my spare keys to unlock the door. Thankfully it was not a hot day, so the boys were fine. It just felt like an eternity before they were able to come and rescue me.
Eric had received my message and left straight from work to rescue me, but my friend got there first. I am so grateful for wonderful family and friends to come to my aid. So learn from me, don't let your kids play with your keys, especially around your car.

4 comments:

The Marielle (and Parents) Show said...

I had a scare like that once too. I thought I was pushing unlock and I hit lock on all the car doors. Luckily, one door was ajar when I hit the locks so after trying every single door in a panic the last one opened. My few seconds of panic were no equal to yours I'm sure. Thanks for the story and warning!

123 checkoutourfamily said...

Check you out with your festive blog! Wow,I never thought about how Brayden could lock me out. I'm definitely going to be careful about handing him the keys. Thanks again for the yummy pumpkin muffins. I was tempted to eat Matt's muffin but I resisted.

4Girls4Me said...

Hey Erika! I'm glad that all three of you survived that trauma! :) I couldn't help but laugh, but of course, I knew everyone was fine. I'm sure you were totally freaked out! I once let Ryann play with my car keys in the house and I NEVER found them again. Never. Even after we moved out of that house years later. I had to miss a party at Corey's house because I couldn't get there. I think she's still mad at me about that... I'm glad everyone's okay! Your blog is so much fun! We miss you guys and love you lots!!! Heidi

Sunnie said...

don't you just love moments like that when you are like "why didn't i think of that before?" i'm glad you got into the car okay and especially that it wasn't hot. that would have been not so good.